9/03/2009

Look At It

Here are some cool things to check out.

1) An interview with Amy Hempel from 2006 in The Atlantic. I really like the term "miniaturist" for her work.

2) I saw this short film a few years ago called Delusions in Modern Primitivism that I found really interesting and couldn't find on google until just the other day. I flipped to the movie a little ways in and didn't realize it was a mockumentary. I've got it coming from Netflix soon, and I'm looking forward to watching it again. A clip from the movie is available here.

3) The other day I came across an article in The New Yorker that I found both fascinating and depressing. It's about a guy--Cameron Todd Willingham--who was executed in Texas some years ago for supposedly being responsible for killing his kids by setting fire to his home. Prior to Willingham's execution, an investigation by one of the pre-eminent minds in arson cases--Dr. Gerald Hurst--brought up many questions about how the initial investigation had been conducted and the conclusions that were ultimately made by police. However, Hurst's work was ignored and Willingham was wrongly put to death.

4) Studs Terkel's Hard Times is a fascinating oral history of the Great Depression that is certainly relevant to our current financial problems. I haven't had a chance to listen to the recordings available via the above link, but I found the book very interesting.

5) If you haven't ever listened to Bonnie "Prince" Billy (aka Will Oldham), do yourself a favor and pick up the album "I See a Darkness." It's a sparse and haunting record with some of the most honest and lovely lyrics. Even the snooty and pompous critics at Pitchfork gave it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment