9/24/2009

Edgar Allan Poe

It had been a long time since I'd read any Edgar Allan Poe, but a recent cleaning adventure in my apartment turned up an old Scholastic edition of ten mysteries by that crazy old man. When I flipped through the book, I recalled some of the cool illustrations that accompanied "The Tell-Tale Heart" in a big reader we were issued in middle or high school. It must have been high school, tenth grade, as that was the year we covered American lit. Anyway, I read "The Tell-Tale Heart" before bed the other night and it really gave me the creeps. It's really interesting to read something so bizarre with such horrific imagery and know that it was published in 1843. Yesterday, I re-read "The Pit and the Pendulum" and found it, perhaps, more disturbing than "Heart," as it really plays on overwhelming the senses with all sorts of unpleasantness.

One January, I'd like to be in Baltimore to see the Poe Toaster as he delivers a bottle of cognac and three roses to Poe's grave on the author's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment