1/19/2010

Me Made Music

In the time since my last post, I put a drum set in my apartment. I know, I know. It sounds like a very rude and possibly illegal thing to do. Some might even, if pressed on the matter, call what I've done morally corrupt. But hold your horses on that. See, I made the command decision to set up the kit because I don't have any upstairs neighbors right now. Also, I live on the ground floor and don't share any walls with the other two apartments in the building. So as far as I'm concerned, what I have done may be the most responsible and respectful installation of kick drum, snare, hi-hats, floor tom, and ride cymbal ever erected in a one bedroom apartment. To be honest, though, one neigbor, whose apartment is separated from mine by two stairwells, did approach me as I sat on my porch one day to say, quite simply: "So, you bought a drum set." We discussed the matter and he explained that he didn't mind unless I played after 10 o'clock. I have managed to restrain myself thus far, and just hope that the sleeping pills I've started taking don't lead me to sleep drum.

I can't say that I've ever been a Drummer, I've always considered myself more of a dabbler, just a drummer. But I do enjoy beating the hell out of things and making noise, and for these reasons I feel up to the task of at least messing around on a kit. At one point a few years ago, I was playing a few hours everyday, and I was playing the best I ever have, which means that I could just about keep up with Def Leppard dude on the band's post accident recordings. I'm not there anymore, but playing here and there is still a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago I recorded a song that ended up being put onto this mix cd that some guys in my town put together each month. It's a cool idea, one that encourages people to make music at home, and that's always a good thing. You can listen to my song--recorded in my apartment--and the rest of the cd at mixgrotto.com

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment