8/31/2009

Everyday

A meteor shower to mark the end of
another solitary summer spent wondering
what to do. What to do?

The sodium light lit roads lead me to the
beach where I hope to sit and see flashes
that will prove time is still forging on.

But the stars are gone, painted over with
soot black clouds that periodically glow
bright with lightning.

So I sit on the sand, cut my hand as I try
to open a beer, and it's too dark to see the
blood, but I can see the waves rising in white rows.

Some lights up the beach, a family with kids
carrying flashlights. They shine them at me as
they walk past, and I keep my bloody hands down.

I'd like to stand up and walk with the family,
head back to their musty, dimly lit cottage.
It'd be my vacation, and I might finally be able to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment